how to waste fiber (was:OT:MarketSpeak)

Danny McPherson danny at qwest.net
Wed Oct 13 19:34:31 UTC 1999

> > 50ms is fast?  You'd drop sevral packets I'd guess.
>
> easily survivable.  but will bgp flap?

sure, if your BGP holdtime is less than 50ms :-)

On a series note, GR253 specs it at 50ms.  Convergence in regional rings,
however, is often more a function of propagation delay, and more
realistically, with larger-than-probably-should-be rings expect times more
around the 100ms range.

As for how it'd look on your router, assuming a trunk failure, you'd likely
see a bunch of CRC or frame errors on the interface, and an array of SONET
errors on the controller.  Then, presumably, you'd see a bit more latency on
the connection while running on the usually less-optimally-routed protect path.

Of course, more interesting than presumably transparent trunk failures in
relation to SONET protection, are trib failures with inter-router APS on the
trib side.  This requires a bit more attention to detail (speaking from
experience).

-danny