Fiber won't work without electricity

Scott Drassinower scottd at cloud9.net
Sat Oct 9 19:51:26 UTC 1999

At 1pm, MCI WorldCom had all MFS service restored that was in or passed
through White Plains.  It turns out it wasn't a fiber cut.

The building they are located in (One North Broadway, which in addition to
being a regular office tower includes POPs for pre-WorldCom MCI, MFS,
and seemingly Nextel) was having electrical work performed by the building
management.  They had to shut down the entire building's power to get this
work done.  I stopped by at 12pm, and the building's security guards said
management notified tenants last month they they would have no electricity
on 10/9.

At 7 or 8am the power went off, and the MFS batteries failed at 9am. It
took four hours to get power back on.  I guess they thought it was a fiber
cut since the whole area simply went dark.  At around 11am, they
determined there was no electricity, and that the fiber was probably
unhurt.

Our C&W Internet service, which passes through the pre-WorldCom MCI POP in
the same building, was unaffected.  So either that facility has better
batteries, or they did something to make sure that things would keep
running today.

 Scott M. Drassinower					    scottd at cloud9.net
 Cloud 9 Consulting, Inc.			       	     White Plains, NY
 +1 914 696-4000					http://www.cloud9.net