Real Media and M-Bone feeds

Alex P. Rudnev alex at Relcom.EU.net
Wed Oct 6 11:10:18 UTC 1999

Yes.

I prefere to ask the WEB or RV server about the live content, using normal
IP addresses (DST and SRC), normal DNS, normal URL's. etc.

Then, if my request was catched by the _on-the-fly-cache_ or
_on-the-fly-repeater_, it can propose me (my client) to use multicast
(xx.xx.xx.xx) instead of unicast data stream. My client can aggree or
disaggree. The replicator can not propose me multicast, multicast can be
unreachable, etc.

If MCAST is ONE-OF-A-FEW-OPTIONS, why not? This days, when your NETSCAPE
request something by http, it send _the set of possible encoding_ and some
other _possible options_, and it's doing transparently for you. We have a
lot of GREAT multimedia clients and servers this days; some of them can
use multicast as one of the options; and we have a global, stable, well
hierarhied (L2, IP, TCP, DNS-names, HTTP-names, HTTP-like-requests)
Internet. If you start from this, and use MCAST in some cases 0 why not.
But if everyone ask me _do you want to read this doc? Please, install
China fonts and learn China language_ - sorry, I better search something
else (I do not know China).

     nanog at merit.edu, randy at psg.com
> Subject: Re: Real Media and M-Bone feeds
>

> On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Vadim Antonov wrote:
> > ddivinia at broadcast.com (Darin Divinia) wrote:
> >
> > >Caching doesn't work for live content.
> >
> > Why?  (And what is "live content"?  You mean interactive?
> > Or "live" TV coverage?)
>
> And wouldn't a cache box with multiple people watching "live content"
> basically bring us right back to multicasting?  One stream to the cache
> operator, multiple streams out to the clients...  Multicasting.
>
> There's at least one commercial service that does this with RV and
> NetShow.
>
> Charles
>
> > --vadim

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)