Real Media and M-Bone feeds

Jeff Mcadams jeffm at iglou.com
Wed Oct 6 02:20:38 UTC 1999

Thus spake Tim Wolfe
>On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Sam Thomas wrote:
>> With multicast, if there is a large enough collection
>> of receivers to justify a cache, there will be at most 1*bitrate on any
>> single connection on the internal provider network.

>You seem to be basing your calculations on the fact that all of the intended
>recipients would be capable of receiving native multicast, which I haven't
>found to be the case..

Well now, *that's* pretty circular reasoning.  :)  Because multicast
isn't widely implemented its not a good solution, and because its not a
good solution, it shouldn't be widely implemented.

Hrmm.
Jeff McAdams                            Email: jeffm at iglou.com
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456