MCI WorldCom fiber cut - Syracuse, NY

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Wed Oct 6 01:33:46 UTC 1999

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Derek J. Balling wrote:

> I think this is just a factor of human beings. People are more cautious
> about hitting gas or electric (hitting a gas or underground electric line
> will ruin your day for the rest of your rapidly-shortening life). If you
> hit a telephone line with your backhoe... oh, what, you mean there's people
> affected by that all over the country?

Yep, that is why you don't see cut's along the old wiltel (now Worldcom)
network. If you see a sign saying "High pressure natural gas" you do not
dig, if you see a sign saying "Fiber cable" you dig carefully.

I must admit, I have done some backhoe work and I dig carefully next to
fiber, but don't get near utilities. :-(

><>
Nathan Stratton				Tricetel Consulting
http://www.tricetel.net			nathan at tricetel.net
http://www.robotics.net	 		nathan at robotics.net