Real Media and M-Bone feeds

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Tue Oct 5 18:16:55 UTC 1999

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 10:29:49AM -0700, Vadim Antonov wrote:

> From: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>
>
> >> Multicast is broken as an idea, period.  Now, why won't we
> >> just forget about it and spend our life doing something
> >> useful instead?
>
> > because, although it is getting less expensive quickly, transport costs
> > money.  multicast promises to reduce that cost near sources.
>
> I strongly suspect that the combined time of engineering staff spent
> on deployment and development of mulitcasting won't be paid off by
> the supposed transport cost savings any time soon.

	The problem is that everyone thinks that multicasting is
more complicated than it really is.

	How many people would be interested in a presentation of
some sort on multicast, and deployment?  The key here is education, and
the people who understand it tend to not be good at explaining it, nor
willing to spend the time educating the masses as necessary these days, as
their jobs have them working too many hours, or traveling enough.

	I've found that once you spend the time necessary to explain
how it works from the 20,000 foot view and then start to come in closer
you end up with people understanding it much better than they ever have
before.

	People try and overthink a few too many things, and this I
think is one.

	I'd be willing to do a multicasting BOF or somesort at the
next nanog if there is interest.  Including real life deployment
examples, and practical applications for use.

> Worse yet, it distracts from deployment of the real solution - cacheing.

	Multicasting is faster than disk.  I'm not sure how caching
is the solution.  Distributed content is also good.

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net
END OF LINE  |