Global BGP community values?

Alex P. Rudnev alex at Relcom.EU.net
Tue Oct 5 09:31:15 UTC 1999

>From mthe side of PRAGMATIC, such communities should be very usefull if 50
- 70 % of the big ISP follow them. It's possible only if this can be
realised by existing control schemas (such as route-maps in CISCO), and
should be easily if router vendors (just the CISCO again -:)) incorporate
it as the embedded rules (just as NO_EXPORT this days - you can realise
this behaviour by route-map, but usially you use embedded rules).

It's just this year when most big ISP began to use such communities inside
their own networks (or may be - 2 years: TELIA - this year; UUnet - last
year; MCI - a few years; most Russion ISP, for example - 2 pr 3 years).
But until now it is LOCAL communities - you can't decrease localpref
GLOBALLY; and it caused the trigger effect in some cases. The first step
should be some _VERY SIMPLE_ draft proposing new GLOBAL communities.

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 10:15:06 +0100
> From: Peter Galbavy <Peter.Galbavy at knowledge.com>
> To: Hank Nussbacher <hank at ibm.net.il>
> Cc: Vadim Antonov <avg at kotovnik.com>, nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: Global BGP community values?
>

> On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 10:32:02AM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> > I agree but then why didn't your draft make it to BCP or experimental RFC
> > status?  Perhaps if we do the community thing and demonstrate that there is
> > a real world benefit, then we can revive your RFC draft and integrate the
> > knowledge we gain into something that gets accepted and implemented a bit
> > later on.
>
> Without wanting to enter into the pleasant politics that surround
> "correctness" versus "pragmatism", I woule like to fall down on the
> side of pragmatism in this case. It would take very little effort and
> no protocol change to document a proposal with some standard
> convenience values that can be seen as an informally agreed set of
> global community values.
>
> Apart from an "always prefer this route if found" set of known values,
> what others could be useful ? I know that some networks (EBONE from
> memory) uses communities to stop exports at borders to certain
> networks. Would there be any value is have a standardised way of
> saying things like "don't export outside country/continent please" -
> the request being understtod to be a courtesy request rather than a
> demand ?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Peter Galbavy
> Knowledge Matters Ltd
> http://www.knowledge.com/

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)