Global BGP community values?

Peter Galbavy Peter.Galbavy at knowledge.com
Tue Oct 5 09:15:06 UTC 1999

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 10:32:02AM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> I agree but then why didn't your draft make it to BCP or experimental RFC
> status?  Perhaps if we do the community thing and demonstrate that there is
> a real world benefit, then we can revive your RFC draft and integrate the
> knowledge we gain into something that gets accepted and implemented a bit
> later on.

Without wanting to enter into the pleasant politics that surround
"correctness" versus "pragmatism", I woule like to fall down on the
side of pragmatism in this case. It would take very little effort and
no protocol change to document a proposal with some standard
convenience values that can be seen as an informally agreed set of
global community values.

Apart from an "always prefer this route if found" set of known values,
what others could be useful ? I know that some networks (EBONE from
memory) uses communities to stop exports at borders to certain
networks. Would there be any value is have a standardised way of
saying things like "don't export outside country/continent please" -
the request being understtod to be a courtesy request rather than a
demand ?

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy