ARIN whois

Steve Sobol sjsobol at NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Mon Nov 29 16:09:33 UTC 1999

Dean Anderson wrote:

> I'm all for working with the community. Each time I have, it has turned out that we need to operate relays.

RELAYS aren't a problem if they are restricted in some way, only allowing authorized users
in. COMPLETELY UNRESTRICTED RELAYS are the problem.

Have you tried pop before smtp on the relays you need to run?

> Possibly, SMTP AUTH will make unauthenticated relaying unnecessary.

I sure hope so. I think it's the cleanest solution.

> Try to take relaying out of sendmail, and see what happens.

I run nothing but sendmail and don't have open relays. I don't seem to have a problem.

> I'm just foolish enough to tell the junior antispammer league that relaying has a legitimate purpose, and can't be removed.  Most other people aren't willing to waste the time with them.  I was also foolish enough to think they could think something through without resorting to abusing our servers, and making posts to alt.2600.  Yep. I know when I did something wrong.

I have yet to hear you admit you've ever been wrong in the 2+ years I've been chatting with you. I think that bothers me more than any opinion you might have WRT spam and relays.