ARIN whois

Alex P. Rudnev alex at virgin.relcom.eu.net
Tue Nov 23 20:53:14 UTC 1999

Usweful mail can come anywhere; moreover, if I have business conversations with
someone from, on example, east.ru, I'd like to be sure I receive all mail from
them, no important if some crazy system declare them as the _open relay_.

I am amazing more and more... As we are saying,
Don't to drop out the child with the water. Spam is not good issue; and
everyone is
welcome to fight with it; but this fight create more spam and disturm just more
people then if someone simple type _D_ or install smart filter to decrease the
priority of the junk mail (so that you see it with the notifications _below is
possibly a junk mail, drop it out at once?_).

This (nanog) mail list is an excellent example. I receive about 10 - 20 junk
mails/day, and waste about 10 seconds to remove this mail; but I read about 10 -
20 spam-concerning messages in this _no spam concerning_ mail list every day,
and it takes about 5 - 10 minutes... There is a difference.

Just ODBS - I already waste d about 20 minutes to found all their detecting
systems and filter them out - because I don't want to allow them to scan our
(sorry, I am not their employee anymore, but I was last monts), RELCOM.net, mail
relays... I prefere to have a littl;e more spam, but don't have this discussions
and crazy systems at all. RBL system was sufficient enougph for 99% cases.

     Roeland M.J. Meyer <rmeyer at mhsc.com>
> Cc: 'William Allen Simpson' <wsimpson at greendragon.com>, nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: RE: ARIN whois
>

> At 08:38 PM 11/23/99 +0300, Alex P. Rudnev wrote:
> >If you protect yourself from open relays too hard, you really protect yourself
> >from the usefull mail. It's reality.
>
> Useful mail doesn't come from open relays.
>
> At least not in the manner in which I (and others) define useful.
>
> >The best way to stop the SPAM is to turn your computer off. There is many
> >reasons why someone hold open relay; while this relay don't send you spam,
> >it's
> >not your business... many providers simpli filter open relay detectors out
> >(such
> >as ODBS), moreover, an attempt to use this _crazy_ (active) lists results
> >in the
> >loss e-mail and can't be used by the serious companies.
>
> You think too far into the box. The best way to stop spam is to turn off
> the spammers' computers.

Aleksei Roudnev,
(+1 415) 585-3489 /San Francisco CA/