ARIN whois

Joe Shaw jshaw at insync.net
Mon Nov 22 22:07:03 UTC 1999

What "legitimate business purposes" necessitate leaving SMTP relays open
to the world?  While I think spammers shouldn't be spamming, I think
you'd find it better to do what you can to stop them from spamming via
means you control, i.e. your servers, as opposed to going through the
FBI.

The FBI has recently stated that their computer crimes people are entirely
overworked and way behind.  So, while they will look into the matter, my
previous experience with the FBI and computer crime shows a decided lack
of interest in crimes that don't involve a high dollar figure for damages
or stolen goods/services except for the purposes of profiling attacks and
doing trend analysis.  Unless you're looking at a six figure loss, you
probably won't get far.

Your best bet is to find a solution to restrict access to your relays.

Joseph W. Shaw - jshaw at insync.net
Free UNIX advocate - "I hack, therefore I am."