should TCPs do MTU black hole detection?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Nov 19 02:35:19 UTC 1999

>> I'm wondering whether the ISP community has a clear preference for either
>> yes-do-detection or no-we-want-the-problems-fixed.
>> Comments appreciated.
> I think that most ISP's would prefer that problems were fixed.

the choice seems

  o when it breaks, the noc gets the call, debugs it, and it gets fixed

  o when it breaks, the software does successive guesswork back-offs until
    it makes it through.  the performance sucks big-time, the customer
    thinks the isp is at fault, but the noc does not get called and the
    real problem never gets fixed.

randy