Port 43 Whois Announcement

Newell, Tom tomn at netsol.com
Tue Nov 16 21:36:00 UTC 1999

Bill Simpson asked:
	"Please quote the exact language in the MoU that describes
removing the "who" from whois?"

The requirement for changing Port 43 whois responses is detailed in
Amendment 19, Para 3A as available at the ICANN web site at:

	http://www.icann.org/nsi/coopagmt-amend19-04nov99.htm

3. InterNIC

A. Within six months from the effective date of this amendment
(the "Transition Period"), NSI shall transfer the internic.com,
internic.org and internic.net SLD names to the Department of
Commerce. Beginning within twenty-one days of this amendment and
until NSI has completed such transfer, NSI shall provide port 43
Whois access to registry data through rs.internic.net. Such Whois
service shall return, in addition to the requested registry data,
a message stating: "Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org
domains can now be registered with many different competing
registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net for detailed information."

This requirement was inserted at the request of the registrar
community to the ICANN board.

The NSI Registry is committed to working within the IETF process
towards a more ubiquitous solution (ala draft-faltstrom-whois-02.txt).

--Tom