OSPF multi-level hierarchy: Necessary at all?

Alex Zinin zinin at amt.ru
Thu May 27 15:36:13 UTC 1999

Hello,

We're currently discussing necessity of multi-level hierarchy
in OSPF on the WG mail list.

The idea is to implement SPF-based interarea routing
with more than two levels of topology abstraction and
route aggregation (we have two levels in OSPF at the
moment level1 being intra-area routing and level2 being
the inter-area one).

I have some thoughts on how this could be done,
but the main question is whether there is a demand
for it or not.

Everyone is really welcome to share opinions.

Thanks in advance,
Alex D. Zinin, Consultant
CCSI #98966
CCIE #4015
AMT Group / ISL
Cisco Systems Gold Certified Partner
http://www.amt.ru
irc: //EFNET/#cisco, //irc.msn.com/#NetCisco [Ustas]