Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?

Pete Kruckenberg pete at kruckenberg.com
Tue May 18 23:29:34 UTC 1999

This conversation has been very useful, but gotten a little
bit away from what I was originally asking. Though it has
still been interesting.

Can I redirect the discussion back towards whether IP
QoS/CoS is capable of replacing ATM in a multi-service
network, limited to the boundaries of your own network?

If I were to put together a native-IP network (probably POS)
which was running high levels of traffic (at least DS-3 to
start and probably OC-3), and put services such as dial-up,
hosting/co-locate, DSL, and high-speed dedicated, and mix in
VoIP, is it feasible to use one IP pipe and logically
segment it with IP QoS/CoS features?

So far, it seems that the way to do this is to physically or
logically segment the network using separate circuits or
ATM. But it would make a lot of sense (in theory at least)
to use IP and bunch everything together.

Pete.