Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?

Vadim Antonov avg at kotovnik.com
Tue May 18 18:53:01 UTC 1999

Pete Kruckenberg <pete at kruckenberg.com> wrote:

>I think it is naive to assume that just because there is an
>over-supply of bandwidth today that it will be that way
>forever.

Some assume, some do something to make sure it's going
to be like that :)

>Who knows when this will happen. With every dial-up customer
>moving to DSL, cable and wireless, and stuff like voice and
>video moving to IP-based networks, seems like it'll happen
>sooner rather than later.

I know at least one company which is going to be in
field trials this year with the technology which can
actually handle traffic in case if every household in
US gets a T-1.

>At 1000% annual growth rates
>(according to Lord Sidgemore) in bandwidth usage,

1000%/yr sounds like BS.  200-400% is more like it.
Reality check - see how backbones grow, not what
marketing people say.

>it'll be only a matter of a few years, even with
>yet-to-be-deployed and yet-to-be-developed DWDM
>enhancements.

Never underestimate bandwidth of 1 sq ft. bundle of
fibers.  Even if no advances are made in WDM or
femtosecond optical valve technology the petabit-per-second
networks can still be built for cost comparable to
the cost of POTS.

--vadim

PS      Trend-wise speaking, backbones are catching
	up with host performance.  Before long, hosts
	will become the bottleneck, not the network.
	After that, network growth will follow the
	same trend line as hosts: i.e. Moore's law
	performance increases with pretty much fixed
	cost.