Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?

Nick Bastin nbastin at rbbsystems.com
Tue May 18 17:29:17 UTC 1999

"Steve Riley (MCS)" wrote:

> Nice to see that I'm not the only one believing in the foolishness of QoS
> hype. Bandwidth is essentially free, and will always be cheaper than QoS.
> And since in the end nearly all decisions are based on economics, it should
> be apparent which is the more logical decision.

And of course, since you seem to have discovered the deal of the
century, exactly who are you getting all of this free bandwidth from?
Maybe you're living in the same universe as Larry Ellison.  The *idea*
of QoS works for lower-bandwidth connections in remote locations, or for
economically challenged installations.  The fact that the
*implementations* of QoS don't solve this problem is merely a reflection
of marketing outweighing research and development.  The fact is, we may
never get good IP QoS, but to reason that the idea is foolish because
bandwidth is free is clearly not rational.

--
Nick Bastin - RBB Systems, Inc.
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to