MAE-East weirdness on May 13, 1999

Forrest W. Christian forrestc at iMach.com
Fri May 14 05:33:41 UTC 1999

> "By 2008 we should have a well-
> functioning Earth-Mars network that serves as a nascent backbone of
> an interplanetary system of Internets - InterPlaNet is a network of
> Internets! Ultimately, we will have interplanetary Internet relays
> in polar solar orbit so that they can see most of the planets and
> their interplanetary gateways for most if not all of the time."

Interactive response sure would be hell wouldn't it.

I get frustrated dealing with a telnet session across a ~500ms link -- Now
try seconds or even minutes.

And think of all the timeout values you'd have to crank up.  Connections
would timeout "here" before the first SYN got "there".

Maybe we tossed out uucp too soon.

But again....  if we had Sean's FTL sled.....

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc at imach.com)
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648