F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET is no longer open for AXFR of COM, NET, or ORG

Paul A Vixie paul at vix.com
Mon May 3 22:12:05 UTC 1999

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

To: nobody
Subject: F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET is no longer open for AXFR of COM, NET, or ORG
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 15:12:05 -0700
From: Paul A Vixie <vixie at bb.rc.vix.com>

(sent to the NANOG, IETF, and NAMEDROPPERS lists to catch everybody who cares.)

Today we (Internet Software Consortium, Inc) received a verified request from
the US-DOC asking that we disable public zone transfers for the COM, NET and
ORG zones from now until July 23.  This is part of a controlled experiment
designed to uncover the actual uses and users of this information.

ISC recognizes US-DOC as one of the parties authorized to make such a request,
and so we have complied with it as of Mon May  3 14:57:39 1999 (Pacific).  All
users who have been fetching the COM, NET, or ORG zones from F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
should during this interrim period contact Network Solutions for access.

Unless instructed otherwise by US-DOC, IANA, or ICANN, we plan to restore
public access to the COM, NET, and ORG zones from F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET during
the morning of July 23, 1999.

(signed)

Paul Vixie (Chairman)
Internet Software Consortium