Smurf tone down

Havard.Eidnes at runit.sintef.no Havard.Eidnes at runit.sintef.no
Mon May 3 19:48:26 UTC 1999

> > 3) Can't manage it.  Providers are understaffed with clueful people.
>
> Is this really that hard?
>
> access-list 175 permit icmp any any
> int bleh/bleh
>  rate-limit input access-group 175 128000 8000 8000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
>  rate-limit output access-group 175 128000 8000 8000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

I agree, the above isn't all that hard.

However, I'd argue that the above is in some sense wrong.
There's no need to put all ICMP traffic in the same basket; some
ICMP traffic is required for e.g. path MTU discovery to work.
So, instead I'd use

access-list 175 permit icmp any any echo-reply

But you all knew that already, right? ;-)

- Håvard