Root servers and transition

J.D. Falk jdfalk at cybernothing.org
Fri Mar 26 21:37:14 UTC 1999

On 03/26/99, Daniel Karrenberg <Daniel.Karrenberg at ripe.net> wrote:

>   > "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk at cybernothing.org> writes:
>   >
>   > 	But, would it really go that smoothly?  How long can the root
>   > 	servers last without an A?
>
> A very long time. Certainly long enough as to not affect Internet
> stability.

	That's the answer that I'm sure we were all looking for (and
	even expecting), but it had to be asked....

On 03/26/99, Sean Donelan <SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM> wrote:

> The zone files would be frozen at the last update until a new
> zone generation process was implemented.  With NSI's latest
> pronouncements, this gets into the political realm.  So I'll
> just leave it at that.
 [ . . . ]
> Ceasing to function is really the easy case.  The hard one is if
> the data is corrupted or otherwise made unusable.  I don't know what
> proceedures the root zone operators have in place to "roll-back"
> zone files to an earlier version in case of corruption happening
> at the same time Network Solutions becomes unavailable.

	Good question...not to put y'all on the spot or anything,
	but do any of the root server operators already have some
	procedures in place for such an occurance?

 ---------========== J.D. Falk <jdfalk at cybernothing.org> =========---------
  |                "Confusion is mightier than the sword."               |
  |                                - Abbie Hoffman                       |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----