Network Solutions is now in the wringer

Dave Crocker dcrocker at brandenburg.com
Fri Mar 26 07:15:03 UTC 1999

At 06:40 PM 3/25/99 -0800, Michael Dillon wrote:
>If their house of cards collapses too quickly it could have some serious
>operational impacts. And we all do realize that it is a house of cards,
>don't we?

This is a request for consideration of a technical and operations
question.  Although it pertains to a political topic, I am only asking for
consideration of a matter that is clearly relevant to nanog.

In particular, what are the 'serious operational impacts' that could
develop?  There is a long-standing claim that services of the type offered
by NSI are fine left without special handling (oversight, assistance).  To
the extent that problems to such a company can have far-reaching impact on
Internet operations, it would be extremely helpful to understand them
before the fact.  This might permit consideration of methods to avoid such
fall-out.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>