route announcement question (political rather than technical)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Mar 24 17:46:29 UTC 1999

> do you require  any documentation from their  other provider that they are
> allowed to re-announce those addresses?  The issue isn't whether we should
> re-announce, but what documentation we should require before doing so.

uh, we're kinda on a first name basis with our peers at the other tier ones.
formality is usually not needed.

when one of their less clued/connected departments gets involved, we usually
count on the clueful to handle their own organization's internal issues.

most folk really do understand how the game is played.  probably verio
stresses it more than most, due to much address space still swipped into the
name of the isps we acquired and there is major administrivia (legal sale
documents and all) to update it.  but most of our friends know that too.
occasionally we hit an peer's admin person who's been kept in a dark room
for some years.  again we could on the clueful to pass it on.

randy