more Internic nightmare

Dean Robb pceasy at norfolk.infi.net
Wed Mar 24 03:19:04 UTC 1999

At 20:19 3/23/99 -0500, Nick Bastin wrote:
>I would suggest forcing people to register to use the whois database.
>Make it open to anybody, with free registration, but require
>registration.  Then restrict users to, say, 250 queries per day, which
>would radically slow the pace of mining, allow most people more queries
>than they would ever use in a 24-hour period, and would make it hard to
>resell the service.  Now, you'd probably need some kind of exception
>program whereby with proper authorization, or something, certain users
>would have the 250 query limit eliminated, but at least you'd know who
>they were, and if they abused it, cut them off.

That's a pretty good idea.  It works for hundreds of other sites, why not
for WhoIs?  Require a password (to help avoid account theft), but keep it
free.

"Small minds can only contemplate small ideas".....Unknown

Dean Robb
Owner, PC-EASY
(757) 495-EASY [3279]
On-site computer repair, upgrades and consultations
Read my game reviews/columns in SimOps on WWW.TheGamers.Net