more Internic nightmare

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Wed Mar 24 00:50:42 UTC 1999

At 04:03 PM 3/23/99 -0800, Randy Bush wrote:

>> Randy we've been there - done that - the only answer is PREPAY.
>
>that's one approach to the cybersquatter issue.  like all solutions, it has
>it's good and bad points.  but i meets my needs, so what the heck.
>
>but this does not address the miner/spammer issues.

Actually it would if you also restrict whois to tech contacts. It would
only take a slight modification for the whois client to read and send the
uuid of the account doing the requesting. The whois server could then reply
or deny, based on that information. The fact that one then has to have a
domain in order to use the whois database, plus the pre-pay requirement,
should slow them down a bit.

Yes, this can be circumvented, but it would cost a lot more than the $70
for a domain registration. In addition, the whois server would know exactly
who is mining the data and would be able to track them, even if they spread
it out over months.
Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com