UUnet - San Diego/LA Outage

Scott Lampert scott at ioa.com
Mon Mar 22 13:13:45 UTC 1999

On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 09:31:37PM -0800, Kit Knox wrote:

> FYI:
>
> UUnet has been experiencing large latency and packet loss in San Diego
> since Friday Mar 10th at about 10:30 AM.  Service at one point degraded to
> the point that UUnet had routed all traffic originating in San Diego
> through a single DS1 while they sat and rebooted their ATM gear for a few
> hours.
>
> It appears that his problem has also spread to the Los Angeles area
> including their LAX1 and LAX2 routers.
>
> Of course, http://www.noc.uu.net/ states that everything is normal and
> there are no known outages.  [ UUnet master ticket #1399 of course states
> otherwise. ]
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone that knows what is really going on.  Despite
> my 100+ phone calls I cannot get a real answer.

	This is related to a problem handling massive traffic for the new
online role-playing game, Everquest (http://www.everquest.com).  Traffic routed
to AS11795 goes through LAX up to Sandiego and has been experiencing massive
packet loss for about a week now.  The 989Studios people claim that UUNet has
found the problem to be a bad ATM card(s) either at
299.ATM6-0.XR1.LAX2.ALTER.NET or 258.ATM2-0-0.GW1.SDG1.Alter.Net.

	All this is second hand information from the producers of that game so
some of my details may be wrong, but this is certainly the cause of any
problems out there.
		-Scott

--
| Scott Lampert         | Systems Administrator          |