Question about subnetting /24's

I Am Not An Isp patrick at ianai.net
Fri Mar 19 05:10:47 UTC 1999

At 08:43 PM 3/18/99 -0800, Michael Dillon wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Steve Camas wrote:

>> Please see Patrick's (patrick at ianai.net) response for an example of how to
>> answer the question without being a jerk.
>
>Seems to me that Patrick's answer contained less useful information than
>mine which you carefully snipped off your reply. Here it is again:
>
>   P.S. You might want to refer to some RFCs as well
>   http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2072.html
>   http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1812.html

Thanx for saying I was nice, but I'm *trying* to be nice.  (It's new for
me.)  Usually I make Michael look nice.

Anyway, Michael is right - his answer contained more useful information
than mine.  So next time you yell at someone, be sure you're not biting the
hand that feeds you.  If you do not like the way someone treats you on a
mailing list, procmail them (assuming you know what that is :), or just
swallow your pride and take the advice as given.  Asking for free advice on
a public mailing list does not guarantee people will treat you nicely.

OTOH, you are also free to flame Michael all you want, just like he is free
to flame you.  Of course, he probably won't help you next time, but you can
do it if you like.

I should warn you, though, that I doubt very much anyone will beat him to
death.  Michael is a friend of mine and he's like 6'2", 225 lbs (all
muscle), and a black belt in two martial arts and training for a third.
(Not bad for a 29 year old guy - he was great to have around the Priori NOC
late at night. :)  Oh, he also likes guns, but his favorite weapon is the
throwing knife.  Add all this to his Internet clue and the ability to find
just about anything he wants about you off the 'Net and Michael is someone
with whom you really do not want to mess.  So, just be more careful before
you say stuff like that to someone who might return the favor. :)

>Michael Dillon                 -               E-mail: michael at memra.com

TTFN,
patrick

P.S.  Hey, Michael, where's that 1941 Ruger you promised me?

I Am Not An Isp - www.ianai.net
ISPF, The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>
"Think of it as evolution in action." - Niven & Pournelle