NANOG botch

John Hensley hensley at merit.edu
Thu Mar 18 03:29:18 UTC 1999

At 21:30 -0500 17 March 1999, Jay R. Ashworth <jra> wrote:

> segue appears to be the problem.  Right before the batch o'dupes, I
> got half a dozen messages with hop count exceeded, and segue.merit.edu
> figured prominently.
>
> Pam?  You here?

The problem was a subscriber at raytheon (via ti, via paranet). From the
headers I've seen it looks like mail for him started getting backed up
on one raytheon machine last week and apparently when the destination
machine came back up today it all started getting spewed back to the
list. Right around 5:00 p.m. EST, we dropped him from the list and put
in a filter to stop these messages, but a lot had already been queued.

In the future, majordomo will be inserting an "X-Loop: nanog" header and
stopping any messages that already have that. (Thanks Daniel.)

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks to all who took the time to send
a heads-up.

--
John Hensley <hensley at merit.edu>
Merit Network, Inc.