Fwd: Re: [NIC-990226.52da] Suggestion: Add contact entry to whois

Owen DeLong owen at dixon.DeLong.SJ.CA.US
Mon Mar 15 17:08:46 UTC 1999

If RWHOIS were the universal mechanism for maintaining domain information,
that would be true.  Here's my line of thinking:

Problem:
	People constantly look up SPAM sources in whois, send mail to the
	Tech. contact.  Often, the Tech. contact is not the security or
	abuse contact.  This creates workload for the tech contact and
	delays in getting security and abuse information to the right
	destination.

Solution:
	Add two contact fields to the WHOIS/RWHOIS/SWIP databases of the
	world providing for a security and an abuse contact.  Sites that
	don't have seperate contacts would simply repeat the information,
	much like the existing Admin/Tech/Zone tends to often be the same
	contact.  It seems to me that this is minimal additional effort
	to obtain much better scalability and usefullness of the information
	presented.

It does not try to solve other problems.  It doesn't try to solve the problem
of out-of-date contact information, lame delegations, clubies, etc.  There
are other ways to solve those problems.  However, this effort is focused
strictly on the problem above.

Owen