[NIC-990226.52da] Suggestion: Add contact entry to whois

Owen DeLong owen at dixon.DeLong.SJ.CA.US
Mon Mar 15 16:18:01 UTC 1999

Well, I, and many other people on NANOG where this has been discussed
over the last several weeks would tend to disagree with you.  While
your answer certainly reflects the current state of the database, it
appears that you may not have understood the intent of the message.

I am suggesting that it may be time to consider the addition of those
fields as a change.  I wanted to solicit input from InterNIC and ARIN,
as well as NANOG.  At this point, I will probably attempt to put it
through the RFC process.  The idea seemed to have substantial support
from the community.  There were some voices of dissent, but most of
them revolved around the fact that it didn't solve all the problems
or didn't solve certain problems it wasn't intended to solve.

There was one voice opposed on the basis that all contact information
for domains should be private, but this opinion doesn't appear to be
widely represented among the community.

Owen