(!) Vint Cerf designing network for solar system (!)

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Sat Mar 13 03:52:25 UTC 1999

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Richard Irving wrote:

> Jupiter , the run between mars and jupiter is a midway point.
>
> OneCall will *not* peer with anyone not a the Jupiter NAP.

I'm working on the design of an interstellar packet transport. The basic
idea is that we record the packet stream for a couple of days onto a RAID
array with fifty 96 terabyte drives, then load the array on a starship to
make a hyperspace jump to the destination. At the other end, the packet
stream is replayed and an incoming packet stream is recorded and then sent
back the same way. The latency for telnet sessions is pretty horrible but
at least it can be done if you are patient and it's cheaper than sending
an Internet engineer through hyperspace.

We're planning on also offering an FTL version where the return packets
will arrive before the outgoing packets have left. But we still have some
problems to work out with RTT before we can do this.

And no, this is *NOT* an April Fools joke...

...for the obvious reason :-)

--
Michael Dillon                 -               E-mail: michael at memra.com
Check the website for my Internet World articles -  http://www.memra.com