SAT OUTAGE: GE-3 service restored

Avi Freedman freedman at avi.netaxs.com
Fri Mar 12 16:20:24 UTC 1999

In article <99212.105836.26913 at avi.netaxs.com> you wrote:
: For those early morning risers wanting to check out how their
: network stock options were doing on CCNfn this morning, the GE-3
: satellite spun out of control for several hours beginning
: at 4am EST.  This affected the Associated Press, PBS, several
: Turner networks.  I suppose I should start collecting which
: Internet satellite providers are using which satellites for
: their feeds.

: GE doesn't have any information on their web page yet, but
: CNN and the Associated Press have stories.

Just talked with GE...  Net Access's affiliate, isp-sat,
does 4mb/sec of USENET news on GE3.  isp-sat saw it down from 4AM,
for a few hours.

Unofficial word from GE is -

1) Unknown whether it's human or mechanical error.
2) All transponders are online, as well as all internal computers
   and navigational systems.
3) This is not the same kind of bird that PAS has had problems
   with (multiple satellites of the same kind losing some of their
   marbles).

: Sean Donelan, Data Research Associates, Inc, St. Louis, MO

Avi