VPN requirements

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Wed Mar 3 14:53:35 UTC 1999

I just published an I-D on VPN requirements.  It may be of use to NANOG
folk in helping determine what their customers want to do with a VPN,
and/or explain to them about VPNs.

I'm open either to making it more of a free-standing tutorial and
requirmeents analysis guide, or merging it into an architecture RFC.

Howard

------

	Title		: Requirements Taxonomy for Virtual Private Networks
	Author(s)	: H. Berkowitz
	Filename	: draft-berkowitz-vpn-tax-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 01-Mar-99

   Proprietary definitions of virtual private networks proliferate in
   the marketplace, to the confusion of end users. This memorandum
   proposes a taxonomy which can describe a variety of VPN models.
   It does not recommend any specific model, but suggests a consistent
   way of describing specific VPNs.  This document differs from some
   other working papers that go more deeply into the VPN mechanisms.
   In contrast, this document is focused on user requirments.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-berkowitz-vpn-tax-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-berkowitz-vpn-tax-00.txt".