traceroute to lycos dies at C&W in Cleveland, what's up?

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net
Tue Mar 2 17:10:33 UTC 1999

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 10:49:24AM -0500, Christopher Neill wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 12:13:20AM -0500, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know about this? Traceroute goes from here through Verio Mid-America
> > (first to Cleveland, then to Chicago), then to C&W Willow Springs (Chicago),
> > then back here to C&W North Royalton (Cleveland again).
>
> Steve, what CIDR network are you running the trace to?

207.77.90.0/23. The specific address is 207.77.91.112,
faust.eng.pgh.lycos.com, which judging from the domain name, is probably at
their HQ out in Pittsburgh.

I have been informed by someone else that this happened due to an apparent
misconfiguration at Lycos. I'm forwarding that e-mail on to Devin Anderson.

--
Steve Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net (AKA support at nacs.net and abuse at nacs.net)

    "The world is headed for mutiny/When all we want is unity"
          --Creed, "One"