Internet failures over the next 3 years

Tim Wolfe tim at clipper.net
Tue Jun 22 22:51:20 UTC 1999

I did read the report but I just have a couple of observations/questions.

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Sean Donelan wrote:

>    - The distributed, informal nature of Internet management

Well this should be fixed once Worldcom and Bell Atlantic finish their
buying sprees and then one of them buys the other.. ;)

>    - The domain name system (DNS)

Does this report take into account the new security initiatives that Paul
talked about at the last NANOG?  I certainly didn't read anything that would
indicate that it did.  That would seem to go a ways towards reducing the
huge accident waiting to happen now known as DNS...

>    - Critical Internet control software and systems

I am not a router vendor, but it seems that adding some sort of auth key to
BGP (similar to the auth system of OSPF) wouldn't be all that difficult.
You could specify a key for each peer.

>    - Procedural errors

As more and more of router/device configuration are automated, I would
expect to see fewer and less impacting human errors.

Just my half a cent.. ;)

Tim

|       Timothy M. Wolfe | Wireless Internet = Get Some     |
| Chief Network Engineer | 1.800.338.2629 tim at clipper.net   |
| ClipperNet Corporation | http://www.clipper.net/services/ |