multicast seen as equivalent of caching packets

Jamie Scheinblum jamie at fast.net
Wed Jun 16 14:09:53 UTC 1999

The problem I think is getting cooperation.  If you do replication on top of
the existing non-multicast internet you would have to build a network on top
of existing routing.  Which it seems to me would mean either a new hierarchy
of data transport needs to be built (new peering, etc), or the source sender
ends up sending content to n first level nodes on a small height tree, which
offers no great advantage.
I always thought the advantage of multicast was that it minimized the number
of receivers the source sent content to.  Packet caching in multicast seems
to be at the advantage that if any multicast router had caching enabled,
everyone in the tree would benefit, if I followed Sean's summary correctly.

-jamie