Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?

Alex P. Rudnev alex at Relcom.EU.net
Tue Jun 15 17:10:50 UTC 1999

> From: Danny McPherson <danny at qwest.net>
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?
>

> > Or you can try from the other end - doing replication on the fly, and
> > convert existing UNICAST data streams to the multicast if (and where)
> > it's nessesary only.
>
> Hrmmm...  Seems to me as though, in it's most optimal state, that'd be
> multicast?  Great idea!
May be, but _I am here, and you are there, and my friends there are busy
by the other projects -:)_. Btw, I don't like to miss such good idea --
may be, I'll found some way to realise it.

The best place for it, btw, is just existing WWW caches caching _on the
fly_ (as cisco WWW engine).

> > internet - and it have not eny success except a few of pylot projects.
> > Compare RealVideo auditory and multicast auditory for now... And why
> > don't try anpther approach.
>
> Several providers have deployed/are deploying NATIVE multicast today on their
> "production" IP networks today (many have had intra-domain enabled for years),
> and deploying inter-domain mulicast via existing direct interconnects and the
> MIXs.  Not only is there a b/w savings, there's a huge savings on the source
> side as well.  A primary concern is the ability of existing and new router
> vendors platforms to do this efficiently.
I know. But remember - it took a lot of time to make _peering
aggreements_, to debug _bgp inter-domain routing_, _control of the
routing by the communities_, etc etc. You are wrong, there is not
_hardware vendor's problem_, it's _policy problem_ for now.

> The benefits are obivous though and router vendors are definitely progressing, but as with any technology, debugging and getting the protocols to a usable state, one to which SLA/SLGs can be assoicated, takes time.
>
> -danny

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)