Podunk Telco

Jon Green jcgreen at netins.net
Wed Jul 21 23:32:13 UTC 1999

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:33:17 -0700, dredd at megacity.org writes:

>He has mentioned to me, "what if I formed an CLEC/ISP and started leasing
>dry copper from CitsTel to provide DSL myself?"  at which point he was very
>much over my head in ability to answer.

He would need to lease space in the CO for a DSLAM, then stick a router
there with a connection to an ISP somewhere.  Not too difficult if the
telco will cooperate.  However, line quality could be a big issue.
Different types of DSL have different tolerances to things like bridged
taps and loading coils.

No idea on cost, but I doubt what he's talking about will be cheap without
getting lots of subscribers.

-Jon

    *      Jon Green            *         "Life's a dance             *
   *   jcgreen at netins.net       *          you learn as you go"        *
  *  Finger for Geek Code/PGP   *                                       *
 *  #include "std_disclaimer.h" *     http://users.quadrunner.com/jon    *