Proposal for mitigating DoS attacks

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Sat Jul 10 19:02:37 UTC 1999

I could have read too little/too much into the original proposal, but it
was my understanding that providers would only be able to blackhole
routes in their _OWN_ announcement. I.e. "Don't send traffic to my host
a.b.c.d". Which would in turn pass through that provider's upstreams to
their peers.

My understanding is that when the originator of the announcement decides
they want to see traffic to that host again, they will just withdraw the
announcement. He specifically stated that this is to supplement a system
of already good peer/customer filters as an added feature, not a new
function. Think of it as one's own blackhole.

Therefore, customer "A" can blackhole yahoo or customer "B" or another
customer on another network because their upstream is already practicing
very good peer/customer filters.

At the peer level I see this as a difficult thing to police, with many
downstream customers announcing their routes through multiple providers.
For example I can think of a few networks I have seen that buy transit
from a company we peer with, who in turn also buys transit from a company
we peer with. It is very hard to keep prefix/address filters accurate for
an organization like this.

I think its great from a customer/transit provider level, however, I don't
know of any transit providers that do prefix length filtering on their
customer announcement. (if they do announcement filtering at all). So (in
theory) one could announce the /32s of all the addresses in a /24 (less
the one to be blackholed) today and achieve the same effect with their
provider. This is of course, a much more BGP/router memory intensive
operation.

I think its a good idea.

Deepak Jain
AiNET