Busy Connect

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net
Thu Jan 28 06:48:01 UTC 1999

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 03:17:58PM -0800, John Leong wrote:
> > Busy Connect ...
>
> The user will not actually get charge for a busy connect service.  When
> he reaches a busy line, instead of getting a busy signal, he will get a
> prompt to th effect "if you want the phone company to call you back when
> the line is free ... for a 75 cents charge ... press 1 is yes, and 2 for
> no".  So, you modem user should not be charge when it encounter that
> situation.

Depends on the phone company, doesn't it?

> As with your users complaining getting "no answer", well, it is really a
> case of swapping of the failure code of "busy" to "no answer".  In
> either case, they are out of luck ... because pressumably you do not
> have enough circuits into your dialup POP, or the ILEC/CLEC has capacity
> problem ... hence the busy situation.

Yes, but look at it from the point of view of a customer who (a) doesn't
know what happens behind the scenes and (b) probably isn't listening to
his modem dial the phone. "No answer", to me, as an ISP customer would mean
that there is a broken modem somewhere that is not answering the phone.
Definitely different than "Busy."

--
Steve Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net (AKA support at nacs.net and abuse at nacs.net)

"Can you look out the window, without your shadow getting in the way"
   --Sarah McLachlan - "Building a Mystery"