aads renumbering rumor and implications

Alan Hannan alan at globalcenter.net
Mon Jan 25 02:07:27 UTC 1999

> i am told that aads seems to be planning to renumber, seemingly as there is
> some service charge for the address space they do not wish to pay.  please
> correct/confirm.
>
> should this be true and  a real issue,

  i have received the attached email.  as it is not marked
  confidential I have attached it here for review.

>   o will folk be happy renumbering at larger exchanges?

  quite.

>   o does anyone see why the exchange address space needs to be globally
>     routable?

  no.

  in fact, i believe nsps should use bilaterally provided unique address
  space at public exchange points, to model private
  interconnections, though the public fabric is shred.

  ie - instead of using 198.32.136.x/24, a network should use
  a.b.c.d/30, where a.b.c.d/30 comes out of one, or the other,
  peer's address space.

  the maes and naps are no longer the center of the internet, and
  therefore mae/nap reachability is of little consequence.

  -alan