Who uses RADB/IRR?

batz batsy at vapour.net
Sun Jan 24 10:20:55 UTC 1999

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Dean Anderson wrote:

:I started looking at the RADB, but haven't got ourselves setup yet.  Does
:anyone actually deny routes which aren't listed in the RADB?

Depends on what you mean by deny. If you are generating access-lists
from RAdb entries, obviously you will only be accepting those routes.
Unless you were doing as_path based filtering, you are implicitly
filtering those other routes. Manually adding unregistered routes would
alleviate this problem until you had convinced them it was in their
interest to register.

I guess what
:I'm really asking is how important is it to be in the RADB? Does it get
:more important sometime soon?

It's not like you won't be able to peer with anyone after a certain
date, but there are important reasons to register.

-If you are multihomed, your upstreams will have synchronized access-lists
  allowing you more control over the shape of your traffic.
-Convenient automated, synchronized and *authenticated* updates to your peers.
-Portable central source for customer and local routing information.
-Making IPMA/Merit/CAIDA projects more accurate.

Am I correct in thinking that ANS and CAnet both require registration
of their customers routes?

:I would also tend to think [based on limited BGP knowledge] that it would
:only be a problem if your direct upstream used the RADB or if your upstream
:is RADB filtered by their peers. Is this true?

I'm sure that a site that used RtConfig for generating access-lists
would only do so for customers that had assured the site that their
registrations were current and worthy of production. Otherwise,
routes are added manually.

-j

--
jamie.reid