SF Bay Area LEC discussion list?

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Fri Jan 22 21:03:33 UTC 1999

Of course the reason I asked, is I think we're suffering from it.  What a
catchy term!

Symptoms sound similar, users at particular COs have problems, but maybe 4
out of 10 dial attempts.  Analog users (the bulk of our userbase) can
connect OK if this happens, but the modem resends from 20-50% of all
'blocks'.  If it's a USR, ati6 shows this after disconnecting.  Not sure
exactly the unit 'block' is in modem speak...  The end result is sub 1
Kb/s throughput, and a blinking error control light.

We've had almost zero success in getting this fixed.  We track it (our own
office is on ILEC lines, modems on CLEC lines) and document times and
numbers dialed to/from, yet even with that info no one can (is willing?)
to fix it.  Very annoying.

In the past, we got some Brooklyn COs fixed, but this is really like
playing whack-a-mole.

Charles

--
| Charles Sprickman                       Internet Channel |