Incompetance abounds at the InterNIC

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Fri Jan 22 08:42:08 UTC 1999

Yeah, this spawned a whole long thread (on going ... still) on domain
policy. As long as you can get free domains, at least temporarily, this
will continue to be  problem. FWIW, InterNIC has changed whois output and
dropped two key fields, "initial creation date" and "current status". That
got a lot of gripes too. The real solution is one they don't want to do for
some unfathomable reason, pre-payment or online payment for domain names.

At 08:49 PM 1/18/99 -0600, Phil Howard wrote:
>John Fraizer wrote:
>
>> Just what does our $35/yr per domain go towards?  I would venture to guess
>> that drive space costs a whole shit load less that all the damned InterNIC
>> commercials I've been seeing on T.V.!
>
>What $35?  Domains are FREE!  ... at least for 30 days.
>
>> Does anyone know just who we need to bitch very loudly to?
>
>The domain speculators who flood InterNIC with massive numbers of domains
>they don't intend to pay for, and then flood again with repeated templates
>to re-register the same domain all over again hoping to catch it right
>when it gets deleted for non-payment (under a new ficticious name, of
>course).

Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com