Incompetance abounds at the InterNIC

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Tue Jan 19 03:13:20 UTC 1999

Phil Howard wrote:

> John Fraizer wrote:
>
> > Just what does our $35/yr per domain go towards?  I would venture to guess
> > that drive space costs a whole shit load less that all the damned InterNIC
> > commercials I've been seeing on T.V.!
>
> What $35?  Domains are FREE!  ... at least for 30 days.
>
> > Does anyone know just who we need to bitch very loudly to?
>
> The domain speculators who flood InterNIC with massive numbers of domains
> they don't intend to pay for, and then flood again with repeated templates
> to re-register the same domain all over again hoping to catch it right
> when it gets deleted for non-payment (under a new ficticious name, of
> course).

And most of the domains never have working name servers at all. The
internic rules say you're supposed to have name service first. This
isn't always practical, but if speculative domains don't have DNS within
a few days, I'd think that'd be enough to wipe the allocations.

Actually, at this point I'd be happy to supply a credit card or a funded
InterNIC account number along with applications. Money up front may well
be the only way to clobber speculators.

Daniel Senie                                        dts at senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.            http://www.amaranthnetworks.com