source filtering

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Sat Jan 16 20:04:51 UTC 1999

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 10:37:55PM -0500, Tony Tauber wrote:
> On Jan 13,  3:41pm, Scott McGrath wrote:
> > Subject: RE: source filtering
> > GTE and ATT both filter via access lists on the customers CPE routers IF
> > they provide the routers to the customer
>
> It'd be nice if this information came from one of the entities
> named above. Here's a refinement for our part.
>
> GTE does not impose mandatory source address filtering via
> access-lists on customers' CPE routers. However, we have recently
> implemented Cisco's "ip verify unicast reverse-path".

I think perhaps we have an acronym collision here.  I read Scott's
comment to mean "Customer Premises Equipment", since that was the only
parsing that didn't introduce a conflict.

However, I read Tony's reply as "Customer Provided Equipment", since
that's my usual parsing of that acronym.

In this case, it makes quite a difference.  Clarification?

Better: why not, Tony?

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592