Solution: Re: Huge smurf attack

Craig A. Huegen chuegen at quadrunner.com
Tue Jan 12 15:41:35 UTC 1999

I think it's time to do a technical refresh for those of you
who think routing 0.0.0.0, 10/8, 172.16/12, 192.168/16, etc. to
null0 will solve the smurf problem.

Not so.

Routing in the Internet is done on a DESTINATION basis.

The reason you see 0.0.0.0 and/or 255.255.255.255 devices
in a smurf is that many times there are IP-capable network
devices never configured within some networks which will
respond with their default IP address (0.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.255).

I have 205.166.195.0/24.  Let's say I put some manageable hub
on the wire, but never configure it -- its default IP address
remains at 0.0.0.0.  Remember that the spoofed echo-request
packet is sent to 205.166.195.255.  If directed broadcasts are
on, the router sending the packet onto the wire will send it
to the broadcast MAC address.  Because it was a broadcast, this
device then responds to the originally spoofed source address,
with a *source* IP address of 0.0.0.0.  Unless you're using a
feature such as unicast RPF checking, a router doesn't care
what source address you're using -- it gets the packet to its
destination.

RFC 2267 gives informative guidelines on how to configure
networks to prevent source-spoofed addresses from exiting the
network.  This has limited scalability, though, as you move
closer to the core -- as you stack a few service providers
together, it gets pretty difficult to manage those filters.

Unicast RPF-checking is a very good way to automatically filter
source spoofs; however, it only works at the edge of the network,
because multi-homing can cause traffic to be dropped if this
check is enabled in the wrong place.

Now, with that said, I agree that providers should be filtering
routing announcements, whether it be through static routes or
distribute-lists; however, it will not keep packets with source
addresses of 0.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.255 from being delivered to you.

/cah