Huge smurf attack

Brandon Ross bross at mindspring.net
Sat Jan 9 19:03:13 UTC 1999

We are currently seeing a smurf attack larger than any one we've ever seen
before... it looks like it's causing us over 200Mb/s of incoming
echo-reply traffic to 207.69.200.132 (our IRC server, imagine that).
Please check your networks and see if you can help us trace this attack to
the perpetrator, we'd love to prosecute if we can find them.

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  info at mindspring.com
                                                            ICQ:  2269442

Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.