What is NANOG used for? (Was Re: Exodus?)

Jon Green jcgreen at netins.net
Sun Jan 3 21:54:18 UTC 1999

On Sun, 03 Jan 1999 13:37:25 -0800, dredd at megacity.org writes:

>At 03:20 PM 1/3/99 -0600, Jon Green wrote:
>>On Sun, 03 Jan 1999 12:27:41 -0700, lad at inficad.com writes:
>>
>>>I have been having problems getting to (and keeping connections with)
>>>certain Exodus clients, such as HotBot and GeoCities.  Anyone else noticed
>>>this?
>>
>>When did nanog at merit.edu become the Exodus NCC?  Come on folks, there has
>>been too much of this crap lately.
>
>OK, so now even network problem assessments have been chided as being "off
>topic".

Considering that his problems were isolated to Exodus clients, yes, it's
off-topic.  Small network outages happen every day, and I don't think
we need to hear about them all.  IMHO, what DOES belong on this list are
discussions of network design, router configuration, LARGE SCALE outages,
emerging Internet technologies, and general knowledge-sharing of how to
build better networks.  It's not a mailing list for end users to say "I
can't reach www.something.com, but before I report it to my ISP or to the
far-end ISP I wanted to see if anyone else sees my problem."  If that is
what the list continues to turn into, I for one will be unsubscribing, because
that is useless to me.

-Jon

    *      Jon Green            *         "Life's a dance             *
   *   jcgreen at netins.net       *          you learn as you go"        *
  *  Finger for Geek Code/PGP   *                                       *
 *  #include "std_disclaimer.h" *      http://www.quadrunner.com/~jon    *