IGP Comparison (Summary of Responses)

Bradley J. Passwaters bjp at Glue.umd.edu
Tue Jan 5 20:03:37 UTC 1999

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Scott Brim wrote:

> This points out the real issue.  OSPF and IS-IS are close enough that other
> factors usually outweigh their differences.  The choice of IS-IS in this
> case is really the result of the choice of an equipment vendor.  These days
> at least, vendors are not chosen because they implement IS-IS.  IS-IS is
> chosen because of some vendors' protocol implementations.

It may have been the result of vendor choice/issue in the past but I don't
see to many people running IS-IS planning to switch over any time soon.

For the record there a number of shops were the lack of IS-IS would
make your product a non-starter.  (now if you don't want to sell
those billion dollar plus networks then no you don't need to
implement IS-IS)

bjp at eng.umd.edu                        |  Disclaimer:  Can you be sure I even
uunet!eng.umd.edu!istari               |  exist:  Let alone represent anyone
Brad Passwaters (Network Ronin)        |  or anything.
Here we are. Born to be kings. We're the princes of the universe.
Here we belong, fighting to survive in a war with the darkest power.
                        Network Manager's Theme Song (QUEEN)